The Science in Human Culture Program (SHC) at Northwestern University invites applications for two-year postdoctoral fellowships in the contextual study of science, technology, or medicine, to run September 1, 2017 – August 31, 2019.
Please read ALL instructions and make all preparations before clicking the link to proceed to the application page.
If you have been asked to submit a letter of recommendation for an applicant, please use the link in your email instructions instead of this page.
1. Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance, because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved. Also, please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been accepted.
2. All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be saved or "printed to" PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF. However, the first method is preferred, because it retains text recognition capabilities.3. Three names and email addresses for external references are required. One letter should normally be from your dissertation chair. It is also very helpful if at least one letter comments specifically on your teaching experience and abilities. If you have not yet defended and submitted your dissertation, please advise your chair that her or his letter must specifically discuss what work remains to be completed and when you will complete all the requirements to receive your degree.
NOTE: Letters of recommendation are due no later than January 16, 2017. Because your referees will not receive submission instructions until you submit your completed application, we recommend that you submit your application well before the deadline.
4. The following materials are all required:
- Cover Letter: A letter that briefly situates your work in relation to the field and identifies the proposed departmental affiliation.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Research Statement. This should be a two-page summary of your dissertation.
- Research Proposal. Please submit a two-page research plan for the fellowship period. This may include, but should extend beyond, revisions to the dissertation.
- Teaching Statement. This document should consist of titles and short descriptions of at least two undergraduate courses of your design that you could teach under the auspices of a relevant program or department within the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences—see the list here: http://www.weinberg.northwestern.edu/departments/index.html). We are not requesting a statement of teaching philosophy or full syllabi.
- Writing Sample. The size of the writing sample should be equivalent to a single journal article, book chapter, or dissertation chapter; it may be published or unpublished. Only one sample may be submitted. It must be in English. The MAXIMUM PAGE LENGTH is 50 pages.
- Graduate Transcript. A transcript from your doctoral-degree-granting institution. An unofficial transcript is acceptable. The transcript may be omitted if your doctoral program did not include formal graded classes; if that is the case, please instead submit a statement to that effect.
5. Very soon after you submit your complete online application, your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation. NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., Interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your reference's address in the appropriate space. Once again, please be sure all addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors; otherwise your reference or dossier service will not receive the instructions.
6. Some things to remember when uploading your application documents:
- Please note that no document may exceed 4 MB in size, so be sure to minimize the size of any large PDF files before uploading.
- File names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters; the system will likely not accept such documents.
7. When you have assembled all your PDF files and are ready with your list of references, you may proceed to the Online Application. All required fields must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application" button. The system will not accept incomplete applications. Applications that are complete by January 9, 2017, will be ensured full consideration. (References will be allowed to arrive through January 16.) You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.